Below is a collapsed list. Please click on the relevant
heading to view the information you require.
- There is a Post Office/Store in Strathcarron village, where
it is possible to buy basic food supplies and gifts. There is also an IT centre where you can access
- 3 miles away in Lochcarron, there are 2 food shops, a butcher, and Post Office.
- In Strathcarron village, approximately 1 mile easy
walk from the apartment, is the Strathcarron Hotel. This is open to
non-residents and serves bar meals. Traditional real ales are usually
available, mainly from Scottish breweries.
- 3 miles away, Lochcarron has 1 hotel, the Lochcarron Hotel
which has a restaurant and
also serves bar
meals. The Lochcarron Hotel also regularly serves Real Ale on handpump, usually
from Scottish breweries and is listed in the 2013 edition of the CAMRA
Good Beer Guide. In Lochcarron, there is also the Bistro restaurant.
- Good food can also be obtained from the Carron Restaurant (on
the south side of Loch Carron on the way to Attadale, about 1.5 miles
from the apartment), and the Kishorn
Seafood Bar (approx. 9 miles away), whilst the inns at Applecross,
Shieldaig, and Gairloch have all won reputations for their excellent
food. The Badachro Inn is also well worth investigating, both for food
and Real Ale.
- In the Main Street of Lochcarron is the Waterside Cafe
which offers both sit-down meals and take away food.
- Take-aways are also
available from the Lochcarron and Strathcarron Hotels.
- There is a branch of the Bank of Scotland in Lochcarron
with an Autoteller (Cashpoint) machine.
- In addition, a Royal Bank of
Scotland mobile bank visits the village every Tuesday.
- Strathcarron is some 63 miles due west of Inverness (the
capital of the Highlands), and lies just at the head of Loch
Carron (a sea loch).
- A link to a zoomable map is
included on the "Links"
- The quickest route by road for those approaching
from the South is via the A9 from Perth to Inverness, and then via
the A832 to Achnasheen and the A890 to Strathcarron. This is the
route used by most people local to the Strathcarron area when
travelling to and from the south of the UK.
- An alternative, more picturesque, westerly route
can be taken by using the M8 to skirt Glasgow, and then taking the
A82 via Loch Lomond and Glen Coe to Fort William; thence further
north to Invergarry, and then via the A87 through Glen Shiel, and
finally via the A890 to Strathcarron. This route
is shorter than travelling via Inverness, but is likely to take
longer - especially as you will probably wish to keep stopping to
look at the scenery!
- The nearest railway station is very conveniently
located right in Strathcarron village (just 1 mile from the
apartment) on the Inverness/Kyle of Lochalsh line.
- There is a regular daily service from Inverness.
- The nearest airport is at Inverness (Dalcross),
approximately 8 miles east of Inverness.
- There are bus services from
the airport into the city centre.
- Car hire is available from the
- Car hire is available in Lochcarron village from the
Lochcarron Garage - tel. 01520 722205.
- Additionally, most of the
national car hire companies have branches in Inverness and/or at
- Cycle hire is available in Lochcarron village from the
Lochcarron Garage - tel. 01520 722205.
- Lochcarron has a 9-hole golf course situated
approximately 0.5 mile east of the village. The course is in a superb
setting alongside Loch Carron, with most attractive views across the
loch. Visitors are welcome. See "Links" for more information.
- Loch, river, and sea fishing are all available in the
- Strathcarron and the surrounding area is a paradise for
those who enjoy walking, whether it be for just an hour's gentle stroll,
or alternatively a more adventurous day's hill walking.
- Well-behaved dogs are welcome at Blackwood Croft by
- We ask that you please ensure that your dog is not
allowed on the furniture and will not cause any damage.
- Blackwood Croft does not have a fenced garden.
- This is a
crofting area where sheep are reared, so it is important that dogs
should be kept under control at all times.
- For the benefit of other visitors to the apartment,
we ask that you please refrain from smoking in the bedrooms.
- In order to make a confirmed booking, we need to have a
completed Booking Form together with a cheque payment for a deposit of
20% of the cost of your holiday.
- The balance of the payment for your
holiday is then payable 6 weeks before the start of your holiday.
- If the
start of your holiday is less than 6 weeks away at the time of booking,
we need payment in full with your Booking Form.
- In order to obtain a
Booking Form, please contact us.
- Blackwood West Apartment has 2 bedrooms and will sleep up
to 4 people.
- There is ample parking space available at the
side of the house.
- The apartment has solid fuel central heating with
radiators in each room. The solid fuel stove is
situated in the sitting room.
- There is also an electric fire in the sitting
- Fuel for the stove/central heating is included in
- There is an open fire in the sitting room - see
"Heating" above for details.
- The cost of electricity is included in the price
for the apartment.
- When the central heating boiler is in use, water is
heated by the boiler.
- At other times, water is heated by an
- Bed linen is provided and is included
in the price for the cottage.
- Towels are NOT provided and you should
bring your own towels with you, please.
- The kitchen is well equipped with electric cooker, microwave, and fridge.
- There is a washing machine, ironing board and iron.
- The bathroom has a bath with electric shower over.
- There is an electric shaver point in the bathroom.
- There is a colour TV in the sitting room.
- There is no telephone in the apartment.
- Mobile phones operating
on O2 (formerly
Cellnet) or Vodafone work well in Lochcarron village and in
many parts of the surrounding area.
- There is also some coverage for Orange.
- Most other mobile networks are not
catered for as of yet.
- There is a public call-box at Strathcarron
village, 1 mile from the apartment.